Thursday, April 15, 2010

Growing up so fast...

My husband leads a children's program during the adult Bible study on Wednesday evenings at our church. A few weeks ago, he decided to allow the 3 1/2 yr. olds to come out of the nursery to join the kids in class. So Madison and two other little girls got to join the older kids for singing, games, candy and a lesson.

Usually, our church nursery keeps children until they turn 4 but we like to show blatant favoritism toward our daughter and her friends.

Okay, actually our nursery is so full (the pastor's kids keep having kids like its going out of style) so to help the nursery workers, we took away the three oldest.

I think Maddie might have had a good time. What do you think?

Being that it was her Daddy goofing around and leading the songs, Maddie was the most comfortable. I think the other girls are enjoying junior church as well, though. Isn't this one a cutie? She's a sweetheart, too.

And they each did a good job sitting still for the lesson, too.

Each week, the children in junior church are asked if they read their Bible, or had someone read it to them, every single day that week. If so, they get a mini candy bar. If they read every day for a whole month, they get an ice cream sandwich. And at the end of the year, we take those who read for 8 or more months out for pizza.

Maddie has totally latched onto this concept. In the past, she has shown interest in reading her mini Bible or reading with either Seth or myself when we are reading our own Bibles. It's never been a consistent every day occurrence, though. But for two weeks now, she has asked to have her little Bible read to her every single day. It's all in the name of candy but I'm still glad. I have been reading Psalm 1 to her every day in hopes that she might unintentionally memorize some of it.

Sunday morning, she curled up on the couch next to her Daddy, opened her Bible and very seriously stared at the pages as if she was reading just as he was. He asked her to tell him about what he is reading. From the bathroom where I was doing my hair, I hear her tell this nice little story:

"Once upon a time, there was a garden. And in the garden, God put a man named Seth. And then He put a lady named Kayte. Then God put a Grandma and a Grandpa and they were Seth's parents."
Then Maddie came and sat on the toilet lid while I finished getting ready for church. Again, she opened up her Bible so I asked her to tell me about what she was reading, hoping for another nice story. What I got was:
"Once upon a time there was a lady named Kayte. And she wasn't a very good Christian."
Gee, thanks! =P
I don't know where kids come up with the things they say! LOL
Another example of such baffling moments was yesterday. I handed Maddie a stack of her folded clothes to put in her drawer. I knew she wasn't particularly in the "let's be Mommy's helper" mood but laundry doesn't wait for us to be in the right mood for it, ya know! So I instructed her to put it away. As she turned to do so, she quite emphatically said:
"I have to do ALL the work around here!!!!"
Um... excuse me? It's funny now but I assure you that it was NOT funny at the moment and we had us a "talkin' " about it!! ;) After dealing with the bad attitude she had displayed, I had to ask myself two questions:
1. When did my 3 yr. old turn into a 15 yr. old?
2. Have I ever said such a statement myself? Honestly, I really don't think I have. Thought it maybe, but we've already addressed the fact that I'm not a very good Christian. But I've never said it out loud.
*sigh* Someone please leave a comment assuring me that this happens, and that she will grow up to be nice sweet girl who says only lovely things to her aging mother as she rocks in a nursing home someday.

Love,

1 comment:

Joyful Blessings said...

So funny Kayte, Maddie is really a strong willed child, she reminds me a bit like Holly was at three too. As she grows up she will make you tow the line...she is helping you to grow and making you the best mommy you can be so you can help other mommies.