Monday, October 19, 2009

It's my birthday and I'll buy if I want to....

well, not really.


Today is my 26th birthday! Woo-hoo! We had cake and iced cream for both Maddie and me yesterday after church. I have always been very amused by people gathering around me on my birthday to sing "Happy Birthday". Isn't it such a funny tradition? You just sit or stand there and everyone stares at you with big goofy grins and sings at the top of their lungs the same song every year. All demographics of Americans do it the same way. People who would never sing in public for any other occasion will without any hesitancy sing right out "Happy Birthday to you.... Happy Birthday to you..." It's just fun to me to have people singing TO ME. Even as a kid, I got a big kick out this tradition... in school, I'd tell the lunch ladies' that it was my birthday with the hope that they would organize the entire student body to stop eating their lunch long enough to all turn to look at my with cheesy smiles on each face and sing the birthday song. Makes me laugh!



On Saturday, which was Maddie's birthday, she walked out her bedroom first thing in the morning and was greeted by a few decorations. Excitement warmed her face and she asked "Are people coming over here today?!" "No, honey, it's your birthday!" we explained.


We gave her a few presents but before she would open them she INSISTED that we sing "Happy Birthday " to her... like mother like daughter??? Well, not exactly....



When the number of singers grew to include some of her cousins and her grandparents, and a visiting evangelist and his wife, she seemed to have changed her mind about all that attention. At this point, she was ready for everyone to stop looking at her and just get down to business: cake.


And while everyone was distracted with Maddie, Miss Eden helped herself to that cake:


I had "nursery patrol" yesterday and snapped these pictures of my adorable nephew trying out my shoes for size. I'm sure his father would be thrilled to see these pictures on my blog!




And now back to "It's my birthday and I"ll buy if I want to"...


We were literally on our way out the door this afternoon to go pick up Seth's birthday gift to me: Photoshop Elements 8. YEAH! For a few years now I have wanted a photo editing program but got along well enough what what was already on my computer.... I don't need anything too fancy anyway- I basically take pictures of my kiddos and that's it! However my hard drive died a few months ago and that (and many other things) was lost. I wanted to put our vacuum away before leaving but was having trouble getting the canister to "pop" back in place. I asked Seth to help me and when he was examining it, he discovered that it was broken. A piece had snapped right off... the piece that should hold the canister in place. There is no fixing it. Oh fooey! I knew that little vacuum was on it's death bed but I had been hoping it would hang on just a little longer for me. I'm not upset at it: it served me well. For $60, it had lasted over 4 years. I guess that's not too bad. Rest in peace little Optima. But did you have to die TODAY? Because you all know what this means. No Photoshop Elements 8. My gift has been changed to a vacuum. Now to decide which one I want. Whenever I have asked friends what vacuum they have and/or recommend, Dyson always is the adamant reply. So for a while I have been hoping that when this little guy kicked the bucket, we could get the "mac daddy" of vacuums: a Dyson. And when I heard Seth remark about that fancy ball design, "That's neat." (which is man-talk for "What a super awesome vacuum! I love it!!!!") that got interpreted in my ears as "Kayte, my love divine, I will buy you a Dyson when we next need to buy a vacuum". Weellll... clarity has come. Since we have not yet won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, it will not be a Dyson. So I am really unsure what to get! For sure, an upright, with a hose attachment, and bagless. There is a Hoover that is reasonable, and I have 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond... but I'm not sure!!! I don't want to regret my choice, but I do need to decide soon. Every second that goes by without a vacuum in this house is just asking for disaster to strike! Maybe we will all fast until we get a new one to limit the mess? lol

3 comments:

Mrs. Reverend Doctor said...

Kayte, I have this and it's been a pretty good vaccume, you can even wash the filters http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11040055

♥ Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Kayte!! How's Maddie feeling?

jen said...

Hi Kayte, I have the Bissel powerforce from Walmart & I liked it so well I bought one for the church. It is actually my third one because the first one was used to vacuum up drywall dust & the second was the bagless model which I don't like. But I have been using mine for six years & have no problems with it. It is also not too loud which is very important to me & only 14 lbs. another plus. It also only cost around $75. Hope you had a happy day. The church surpirised me tonight with a cake & a round of "Happy Birthday". I'm with Maddie on this one ~ Let's skip this part & eat the cake. It is nice to feel loved though.