Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mini Vaca

I'm a big believer in the power of a mini vaca... 5 - 10 minutes to just relax, recoup, recharge.

I can not manage a power nap. No matter how tired I am, I always require a good half an hour to fall asleep. It's one of the things I literally envy about my husband. He's asleep before his head hits the pillow. Attempting a power nap only leaves me groggy, grouchy and longing for 3-4 days of solid sleep. But taking a hiatus from duty and work in the middle of the day is my salvation. I often play a mental game with myself: Finish this difficult / boring / tedious task and then take a mini vaca, such as:

Cup of tea and a few chapters of a good book.

Soaking in a bubble filled tub

Lawn chair, sunshine, cool drink. Must have sunglasses.

Reading my favorite blogs

Occasionally, my husband will send me off to the bookstore without children and I'll get a ridiculously over priced Chai Latte, and sit and read for a while. Oooooohhhhhh so nice!

And then there is this highly effective mini vaca:

Cleaning.

I know. I just lost half, if not all of you. It's not that cleaning is fun fun hip hip hooray! But I speak from my own experience that when I feel frazzled... irritated.... ready to snap at any moment (don't pretend you've never been there! ☺) I know that one thing will immediately have a positive effect on the whole scene:

Pick up the junk. Throw away the trash. Finally scrub away at that stupid smudge of raspberry jam on the carpet that has been screaming at you since yesterday. Deal with the sink full of dishes. Put away the basket of clean laundry taking up real estate on the couch.

Am I suggesting doing all of that and pretending that it is a vacation? No. But I do say pick one... the one thing that is gnawing at you the most... and just get 'er done. And then sit back and enjoy your raspberry jam free carpet.

Doing what I don't want to do (but need to) leaves me feeling good. And a little less overwhelmed. And much more able to really enjoy the mini vacations I mentioned earlier.

How about you? What do you do for a mini vaca?

Love,

2 comments:

Laverne Allison said...

I so agree with you on the cleaning. When I am upset about something it always makes me feel so much better. I think it is because that I typically get really upset when I feel that I have failed in some way and cleaning is a wonderful accomplishment!

Joyful Blessings said...

I know what you mean about the cleaning too Kayte, I have done it several times in the past. It airs the mind and I feel like I accomplished something when I am frustrated about other things.