Monday, January 3, 2011

Bathroom spruce up

Would ya like to see my husband's latest project?

The ladies' room in the church basement was ready for updated decor. Firstly, let me just say that about 20 yrs. ago, when my father in law / pastor decided to finish the church basement for fellowship/Sunday School/academy use, a lady in the church put in the time and effort to decorate this bathroom and we've enjoyed it for a long time. So while I was the biggest encourager for it's re-vamping, I know that back when it was first done, it was fantastic and I'm glad that lady volunteered her time to do what she did.

Here is the before... hopefully you get the idea. Such a small room makes it hard to take photos! (At least hard for me!)








And now for the "after" pictures:




Oh Amy!!! Do you recognize these prints?







Seth painted (obviously), replacing the peach color with a warm mocha. He then wallpapered the upper half of two walls, installing a chair rail in between. I LOVE chair rails. I think it's such a great way to add more interest to a room, without costing to much or being too hard to do. Not that I do it... well, I painted them but my husband does all the cutting, measuring and installing. In fact I have pretty much been forbidden from ever attempting to measure anything for any project every again. Many many reasons (blunders) for this. I mean just for instance... in the list of "cutting, measuring and installing", I just naturally put "cutting" before "measuring". Nothing else needs to be said.

We bought 73 curtains, brought them all into the room to match up and returned 72. *sigh* And naturally, the one we both liked best was just a bit too sheer to provide the necessarily privacy. Then, I discovered a neat product that sprayed on the window like spray paint and left the glass frosted. Light still comes in (a nice thing in a basement space) but the sheerness of the curtain is no longer an issue.

We also added the pretty jars, one of which contains potpourri in a "clean" scent, another holds safety pins, and the other... is empty. Any suggestions? I considered mints but I'm almost certain the children... namely those stinker assistant pastor's kids... would eat them immediately. I guess I could go ahead and put mints in and instruct the munchkins not to eat them. Hmmm..... Anyway, I also found that soap container on clearance for under $2 and I think it matches great! One negative aspect of freshly painted walls is that now the floor looks extra extra old. Oh well. No plans to update those anytime soon!


And looking at this pictures right now, that bright blue lotion bottle has got to go! Surely I can find lotion in a white bottle...

Love,

9 comments:

jennstar said...

Beautiful! Love it!

Jaime said...

Very nice! Good job Seth!

Michelle said...

Looks great!!!

Marisa said...

Looks GREAT!

Korina said...

It looks AWESOME.

Lorena said...

Love it!!! You do have a way with warming up a space Kayte!!!

May I ask where and how much was the spray frost for the windows? I would love to have that for my bathroom. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Rena, the frost spray was found at Lowe's (in the aisle with spray paints) for about $6. I was originally looking for sticky contact type paper that can also do the trick but the paper was $18 (the cheapest one) so this was a much cheaper option. It is stinky when you're applying it. But it dried quickly (even with our cold weather) and it looks nice.

Emily Lakie said...

I love the colors! So pretty! What about putting wet wipe packets or germ-x packets in the other container.

Unknown said...

Good Idea Emily! I hink I have some of thsoe around somewhere too.... I think people would like that considering how many hands you shake at church and it is flu season.