Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankfulness produces joy!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!



I know, it's not until tomorrow, but you know I ain't gonna be on here tomorrow! Not when there are foods to be fixin' and meals to be eatin' and pies to be consumin' and dishin' to be washin' and then bowling pins to knock over and then more foods to be eatin' and more pies to be consumin'.



Isn't Thanksgiving great? It may be my very favorite holiday. It's no doubt the purest in essence. It seems that EVERYONE starts thinking of what they are thankful for, even people who don't know the Lord personally, or even those who don't believe He is real. But, I wonder, to WHOM are they thankful TO in that case?



I would like to think that I am thankful person all year round... we probably all THINK we are. But of course we aren't all, are we? I was pondering this idea for a few days then decided to ask my husband.... does he think I am thankful? I know I think thoughts of gratitude toward him and toward the Lord and toward others... but would those people know that? Does any of my thankfulness go farther than just warm fuzzy thoughts in my noggin?



So the other day, while driving in the car (it's the best place to have good conversations with my husband, it seems...) I began.



" Okay, Babe, I'm gonna ask you a question and I want an honest answer. I have my big girl undies on today so my feelings won't be hurt." I felt that I needed to assure him that it was safe to be honest... why? past experience. (I need a blushing smiley to insert here)



But, as can happen, that reassuring statement seemed to rather be UNassuring. ☺



" What a way to preface a question!" He laughed.



" Does it make you apprehensive about what I'm going to ask!?!" Maybe he was afraid it was the classic "Does this 10 lbs. of baby weight sitting on my middle make me look fat?" But he need not fear. I am no where near being ready to bring that up. Not even with my big girl undies on.



Anyway, eventually, I asked him: Do you think I'm a thankful person?



And so we talked awhile about ways we both could express gratitude, in general and to one another, more.



Thankfulness produces joy. ☺



And there are things that thankfulness does not produce. Maybe evaluating what is NOT evident in our life is a better measurement of whether or not we are truly thankful. Thankfulness does not produce complaining. Or moodiness. Or greed. Or discontentment.

So those nice happy thoughts that run through my mind about how blessed I am to have my husband, children, church, salvation, food, a home, a car, life... they ought to evict the yucky grumpies I find myself wallowing in sometimes.

Is it blatantly obvious that I have a house full of little ones... "yucky grumpies". My usual cure for the girls' "yucky grumpies" is sending them to bed. Would someone please send me to bed next time you see me grumpy! I'd love it! ;) In fact, I'd be thankful. ☺

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for, not the least of which is the One to Whom we are thankful.

Love,

1 comment:

Marisa said...

We soooo do have so much to be thankful for!! Very true! =)