Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Enchiladas, with Spanish rice!

We ♥ enchiladas.

Easy, doesn't take too long and a great way to redress leftovers. Here's what I do:

10 fajita size tortillas (I used 8, and then 3 low carb tortillas for my mom... the low carb ones are a little smaller)
1 big can enchilada sauce
1 small can re fried beans
A little over 2 cups cooked chicken (or beef....leftover pop roast? Shred it up!)
Cheese, salsa, taco sauce, olives, sour cream.... the possibilities are endless.

Since I like to make Spanish rice with this, I start soaking the tortillas in a pie pan filled with the enchilada sauce as I brown up 1/4 c. chopped onion, 1 tsp. minced garlic and 1 cup of rice in a bit of olive oil. Once the rice is golden brown, I add 1 small can tomato sauce, 1 and a half cups chicken broth (I just use the tomato sauce can to measure), about 1/2 tsp. chili powder and a bit of pepper. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, remove one tortilla from sauce at a time. Smear with re fried beans... I know, they are cold and straight out of the can. Ew. But it's all going to work out fine in the end. Top beans with a small handful of chicken, then cheese, and salsa.
It can get a little messy. But it's going to be fine, I promise. And let me just insert here that salsa should come from the produce department, folks. I'm a salsa snob.


After putting in your desired filling ingredients, fold the top and bottom down and then roll the whole kit and caboodle up. Place seam side down in your baking dish (I used 10x14). Once all your enchiladas are assembled, whisk in 1/2 c. of sour cream into the remaining enchilada sauce. Go ahead and mix it right in the pie pan. It will work. ☺ Then pour that creamy goodness over all your enchiladas. If you are one of those people who don't believe in TOO much cheese, you can sprinkle cheese on top. (And olives, or basically whatever you want.) I used to cheese to mark my Mom's low carb enchiladas.


Bake at 425 for 25 - 30 minutes. I usually cover with foil, but I was out, and guess what? It turned out just fine. ☺

By now, your Spanish rice is cooked, your table is set (hopefully), your kids are hungry, your baby is crying, the phone is ringing.... must be dinner time. ☺


Love,

No comments: